17.9.04

Blue and Whites

I got pulled over last night. In the course of two hours I had drank four 16oz beers. I was sure I was going to jail. I stayed calm. I turned my interior lights on and put my hands on the steering wheel. The officer asked for my license and proof of insurance. I complied, still playing it very cool. He asked me where I was going and I gave him specifics. He stepped away from my window for a minute and he came back and said that he detected the presence of alcohol and had I been drinking this evening? I looked him straight in the eye and said NO sir. He asked again and I replied no sir, nothing. He asked me to step out of my vehicle. He told me that the reason he stopped me was because I was driving without my headlights on. In a very calm and collected manner I told him that I had just purchased the vehicle and I was not yet comfortable with some of the controls. This statement was easily verified by the dealers tags in the back window. He asked me again, are you sure you haven't been drinking, and like a polar bear in a snowstorm sipping a milkshake I said nosir.
The cop that was doing the talking ran my shit through his system and in the meantime I was just standing behind my vehicle chatting with two other cops. We talked about my new car and the music festival and how its not that uncommon for people to be driving down Lamar with their headlights off cause the street is so bright. The main cop was writing something and I asked the other two what he was doing. They replied that he was either writing me a ticket or a warning. One of them tried to scare me by telling me the fine was all super huge or some bullshit. And I was all oh no I hope its not that and then we had a good chuckle. The main dude came over and issued me a written warning which I had to sign.
I have NEVER just gotten off with a warning when it comes to cops.
That was a close call.
Listen folks, don't drink and drive, and more importantly
don't press your luck.

hootenanny

|