12.4.04

Kanye

I bought three CD's this weekend. I was taking a little road trip and I needed some new tunes to keep my mind and soul occupied. Here is the rundown in order of importance. I would like to add that I had only intended to buy one album but I got giddy in the Hip Hop section and I ended up with 3, slight error in judgment it turns out.

1. KANYE WEST ~ The College Dropout ~ This is the record that I went in the shop to buy in the first place. This recording is going to be hailed as the best Hip Hop Album of 2004. I've known about Kanye for a long time it seems. I know he produced the Jigga Man's H to the IZZO and some other notably well produced tracks but only recently has he been signed to spit some shit himself and subsequently blow the fuck UP. Well in this, his debut recording, you get a taste of real no nonsense, thought provoking, lyrical rude boy business, straight from Chi-town Strong. This is real hip hop, no fake thug scenarios, same old tired scenes up in the video BS. Kanye's use of old samples that have been pitch bent to the highest highs is one of the most innovative techniques to emerge in recent years. And his lyrical style is one of care and concern and it drips slow like the J Hova himself yet had the thought provoking qualities of say Talib Kwali. Aside from Outkast's latest release, I haven't enjoyed a Hip Hop album this much since Mos Def's Black on Both Sides and that is sayin something. I haven't absorbed it all just yet but it feels like I can't say enough good things about this record.

2. THE NEPTUNES ~ Clones ~ I am a fan of the Neptunes, I think their production is innovative and I like the N.E.R.D. project a lot. That being said, I am a little disappointed at this collaboration record. Their are some good tracks, I like Frontin with Jay-Z and Pharell and I like the Nelly entry If but I think overall this collection is a little weak. I especially don't care for the R&B shit with Kelis. I think they use their left over shit when it comes to Kelis and any other R&B sounding stuff. Their is another track called Good Girl (can't remember the artist) that is mucho debil. Their are three straight rock and roll tracks with Spy Mob, the band the use to back the N.E.R.D. project, that I could live without. I am not sorry I bought this one but I could have gone to i-tunes and just downloaded the track I wanted. Overall its OK, mostly I like the electric sounds that Chad Hugo comes up with using his synthesizer.

3. LIL FLIP ~ U Gotta Feel Me ~ Um sorry Flip, NO I don't gotta feel you. In fact, I ain't really feelin you at all. I try to support Texas Hip Hop, which consists primarily of Houston crews like Ghetto Boyz, UGK, DJ Screw and the likes but I really don't care for this particular brand of dirty south thumpin. The beats are OK but the rhymes ain't sayin shit. Also, the production is such that the recording level on the vocals is low so that you and your crew can bump it large out your trunk. I have an OK system in my car but I'm rarely bump-casting to the neighborhood. And If I was I don't think I would be bumpin Lil Flip. Sorry Mr Like A Pimp, I tried to support H Town but ya'll just ain't sayin nuthin but the same old thug-life biz and I'm happy to report that Hip Hop is progressing.

Long Live Kanye and for god sakes people, if you go into a store to buy something specific, stop there and things will be gravy. Maybe?

|