24.1.05

Epinions

I have spent a great deal of my life attempting NOT to form opinions about every damn subject under the sun.

I am an American.
Americans are the most litigious people this world has ever known.
Litigation demands that you have an opinion on the matter at hand.
capitalism is a very competitive economic plan, and it creates an environment where competition is rewarded.
Most folks compete on a the daily based on their divergent opinions.
Other folks commiserate on the daily based on their concurrent opinions.
Ebullient opinions make me ill.

This is a very polarized world and we(USA) are at the center of the world wide shitstorm of polar opposites.
It's a Jihad world we're living in. Choose your side. Muslim or Christian, Democrat or Republican, Freedom or Terror, Mac or PC, Coke or Dr. Pepper, choose muthafucka... Which side is you on? and what is your opinion on (fill in the blank)?
unfortunate, methinks.

The aforementioned are current events (that seem to seek to destroy our world) but the social milieu in America, that I'm talkin bout here, has always been one of choosing sides, right and wrong, 'us and ours' versus 'them.' It has seemed that all my waking life has been in a society where everybody feels as if they have to form an opinion on every subject in creation. People act like if you don't have an opinion on any and all subjects then you are an incomplete human. Its like they equate the formation of your opinions with the cellular mitosis that takes you from an egg and zygote to a walking, talking bag of hormones and bullshit.

And to that I say poppycock.

I am a walking, talking example of someone who has lived a very full and complete existence without having to opine about every topic in the zoo. Moreover, I have found it to be an advantageous strategy to NOT voice my opinion about every topic that comes up in conversation that I might have formed an opinion about. This is not to say that you shouldn't speak your mind or that discourse isn't important. Its very important to exchange ideas, especially in efforts of mutual understanding. But opinions should only be formed from real world experience and should only be hauled out into the spotlight for the purpose of instruction and enlightenment and not just for the purpose of hearing your own voice and elevating said voice above that of your homie who is offering a dissenting opinion.

I realize now that if I had formed more opinions on a more wide array of subjects that I might have more to blog about here and now.
But what's really important is that I am posting on a Monday.

|