12.1.05

Savory Now

There's this thing about moment to moment to moment,
You know
the passage of time. There is this thing where
you really only can know about the now. The present.
That moment, that by the time you think about it, it's already gone.
You can really only experience it, and only once.
Then its gone.
But then it's here again.
But there it went.

There was this one time when I was traveling in a strange and far away land.
I was not unaccompanied.
Indeed I had an excellent friend and guide who was native to that place.
I had been away from home for some time.
First a guest in a family home in a great world capitol.
A city that I could hardly comprehend in it's monumentality and granduer.
Then a trip north to another significant place and time.
The Venice of the North, I heard it called.
And it was wonderous and light till late.
And the train ride was epic.
And then a flight to a place by a sea.
A place that tourism had forgotten.
I was attacked by a dog and by my fears.
We were left by our companions,
who had to return to their livelyhoods in that great world capitol.
We were left alone just she and I.
And I somehow felt so far from home and so lost in my ways and means.
And I could hardly enjoy the time I spent with The Princess.
I let the moment slip away.

I let the moment slip away cause I was shortsighted and I gave in to fear.
I wanted to be back to a place where I could hop in my transport,
and know all the streets,and know the best route to the park, or the store, or the way out of town.
I let a precious moment get lived all half ass,
cause I couldn't focus on the beauty and the serendipity of the Now.

I prefer to keep my regrets to a minimum,but I sorely regret that occasion.
I tend to regret most of that wasted time that's not savored or celebrated,
or appropriately appreciated.

|