18.1.05

Censorship

I had a discussion with a "friend" the other day,
about how he didn't like it when his name appears in this blog.
This is the first I have heard of such a complaint.
It may not be the last.
It's not as if I used his name and divulged any details about his life.
It's not even that I used his name to talk specifically about him in any way.
His name would come up in this blog like it might come up in regular conversation,
as my writing tends to be quite conversational.

An example might be "...I was over at (blank)'s house when some shit happened."
or "... so I turn to (blank) and said let's eat at Thai Kitchen."
or maybe even "...I was with some people and (blank) was one of them."
Never a description, never a judgment, usually only as an observer or a companion.
I am just trying to maintain a level of candor that I think my smallish audience has come to appreciate.
I sort of meant it as complimentary.

He has an unusual name so its not like I can say "I was talking about the other Ben."
He suggested that I use his popular alias which is a terribly common name,
and would suggest that my world is populated with commoners, which it most certainly is not.
I of course plan to assent to his wishes.
I would rather not mention him at all than use his chosen "regular guy" moniker.
A nick name just doesn't mean much when you give it to yourself.
Like The Deputy for instance.

I mean no (specific) harm with this space.
But I didn't think it would be a problem to mention that I have a friend named (blank) and we were at a certain place at a certain time doing this thing or that thing,
but what do I know.
He tried to explain it but I'm still not sure why he doesn't like being mentioned.
I would understand if I was getting tons of hits,
and it was a possibility that someone in his family might read this space,
and realize that their relative is hanging around that trashy Deputy fellow.
Or I would understand if I was bashing him or saying things that were untrue, or using his full name.
I thought he was a supporter of this endeavor and didn't mind being one of the cast of characters.
I was wrong.
I apologize and will hence forth not mention this individual in any context.

It seemed to me that his main goal in pursuing this line of reasoning,
was to be generally discouraging,
as he often does.

But I have a horrible habit of taking things personally so that might not be the case.

If you are one of these people, whom I consider my friend, and you don't want your name used here on my blog, here on the innernet, shoot me an e-mail at thedeputy@gmail.com

Ben L, Tiffany, Ben P, Ben W, Kelon, Jay, Holly, Holly Hobbins, Tiffany, Amy, Erin, Chris, Amanda, Leah, Mat, Harper, Jeff, Lisa, Royce, Kaya, Kiko, Kiki, Johnny, Tara, Robert, Vimi, Jamison, Jeremiah, Shafer, Lizzie, Justin, Carlos, Joey, Liz, Bob, Shaggy, Angelina, Dave, Amber, Brooke, Euriah, Tim, Nate, or Luke.

**discussion section**
For what reasons should you NOT use the real, first only, names of your friends in your blog?
What could be some of the ill fated consequences?
Has this ever happened to you?

|