10.1.05

Good News

I just found out that my favorite blogger is going to be here in Austin for SXSW
He has been asked to be on a panel for the interactive conference.
I hope to God that he accepts my proposal to at least meet for a beer.
I want to get my picture taken with him.

Tony, I promise to bring along the cutest chicks that I know.
and I know some hotties.
true

On a "What did you do over the weekend Deputy?" note, well, I drove to Witchita Falls Tx to celebrate my Mom's 50th birthday. That's a five hour drive. I enjoy being from the largest state in the lower 48 but some days, like when I have to drive to visit my family, I wish I was from a smaller state.
But not Delaware.
I listened to John Stewart and the Daily Show gang's America: The Book the audiobook on the way up there, it was frickin hilarious. It was dense enough that I listened to a lot of it again on the way back, I highly recommend it, and the audiobook format was perfect.

Anyways, we had a lovely time celebrating my Mom's Bday. My Mom's house used to be a strictly teetotalling affair, meaning NO BOOZE. My stepdad is kind of a religious guy and he has never been a drinker. My Mom on the other hand would have the occasional margarita or glass of wine if it wasn't for my stickler stepdad. Well it seems that his lack of pulling his own weight as of late has changed my Mom's mind on the subject of no drinking just for the sake of tip-toeing around my his puritanical bs. So long story short, we drank. Well me and my sister and my mom and her friend and her friend's husband all drank. The stepdad didn't touch a drop. This actually all started over Christmas when I just bought a bottle of wine and offered it to my Mom and sister and it was accepted and a glorious new precedent was set that will inevitably effect all holidays from here on out.
Lush

On the way to Witchita Falls on Highway 281 is a town called Mineral Wells. Its a regular shit hole Texas town with a small population and an interestingly deserted downtown area. I love these old downtowns that have this feeling of a long gone hope for the future of the town, that obviously died somewhere along the way and got diverted to a larger area like the DFW metroplex. Mineral Wells has a classic old downtown just like this. It must have held so much promise in the forties and fifties, long before Walmart was around to make sure the death of downtown was inevitable and any renaissance would be impossible. Desolation

One thing that Mineral Wells has that most of these small towns don't is a skyscraper of sorts. I took some pics of my own and I will post them tomorrow but as you can see this is a pretty large building and it is totally abandoned. It towers over the surrounding buildings. Its more than a little spooky. It reminds me of a scene of desolation from an Ayn Rand novel. Why did this building get abandoned? Why was it built? What's on the inside now? These are questions that haunt me as I drive through these places of past hope. This building has all these Spanish elements in a style similar to Lubbock High School. Its really a beautiful structure. Its just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fascinating

I watched 50 First Dates on HBO last night. Not as funny as some of Adam's other movies, but a good flick nonetheless. The end scene was really heartwarming and it had this time hardened peacekeeper a little teary eyed just in time for bed. Then I had horrible dreams which brewed up a really restless night. Craptastic

|