18.3.04

Departure Overture

I think I would like to get out of the city this weekend. I was just discussing it with my attorney. He suggests we go to this part of the Guadalupe River that is extra cold and stocked with trout. Its just this side of San Marcos. There are lots of great camping spots right round Austin but only a short season, one in the Spring and one in the Fall, in which the temperatures are pleasant enough to camp. Its pretty tough camping in the summer around these parts. Sweltering I tell ya. I think we (My Attorney, His Lady and myself) will pack up the gear and go out and south to the river. I really need to get outside and get in some serious ree lax a tion.
So there's this little music festival here this weekend. South by Southwest, maybe you've heard of it? Well I'm told that its a big damn deal. All these wanabee, up and coming and well established musicians descend upon this humble burg once a year for a real 'rah rah ras kick em in the ass' festival of all things band-y. Austin is the 'Live Music Capitol of the World' (self-titled) if you haven't heard. The music scene is all encompassing and all important around here especially this week. Now I have mixed feelings about this. I love music. I love to sing and dance. I love the way music feels on my skin and the way it makes me feel in my heart. In truth I would like to be a little more focused and make some more music. This is where the problem arises.
I got beef with this festival because I don't have my shit together enough to participate. I mean we are talking about a deep seeded, burning with the passion of a thousand Victorian furnaces, green to the gills ~ ENVY. I am envious of all these guys that are doing their band thing, making music and making it work. I am trying to face this problem by admitting it and owning up to it. I would like, in this next year, to really work on my own stuff enough that next year I can really enjoy this festival. I mean c'mon, what a bad attitude I have. This is a FEST ival.
I am deeply flawed. I think the best way to handle that is to identify the flaws, separate them into the things I can change and the things I can't, and just get to work. I will take this weekend to get out of the city, get out of my stress zone, write some lyrics and focus my mind so that I can produce. That should make my attitude a little better.
I would like to congratulate my friend Eamon McLaughlin on his Austin Music Award in the category of New Band Of The Year for his new project The Green Cards. Cheers Mate.
See yall later I'm Gone Fission.

|