8.7.04

Fox Summer Programming

I watch Tee Vee sometimes. I like it. It helps me turn off my brain when I have been designing and marketing and blogging and doing all kinds of thinky type stuff all damn day.

I listen to the music of Method Man sometimes. His 1994 solo release Tical was pretty damn good but Tical 2000 was just OK and well besides his work with the Wu Tang Clan I had pretty much written off Mr. Mef as a serious hip-hop artist. I have felt like for the past few years and especially since the Right Guard commercials that Meth and his ubiquitous buddy Red had entered what I would call their adult contemporary phase.

When I saw the ads for this I was sure it was gonna be a train wreck. And I was right. I watched it last week, the premier episode, the format is formulaic and its not very funny and well the show just kind of sucks. But much like a train wreck I just couldn't take my eyes off it. I watched it again last night. I think Paris and Nicole who came on right before them turned my brain into guacamole and I was just unable to change the channel or turn the damn thing off. On second look I would reinforce my premonitions and my initial response and say 'that show sucks.' I think the characters like Mef's Mom and the Neighbor Lady are flimsy and the writing is bad and Meth and Red seem like caricatures of themselves. There used to be a successful show with a similar formula, it was called 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.' The star of that show, a Mr. Will Smith, was never taken seriously as a rapper again. He may never have been taken seriously in the first place, but that's not the point. I just wonder if Meth is ready to be fully engaged in this his 'adult contemporary phase.' I wonder if he is aware of the gravity of this career move. I wonder if the public is going to embrace this piece of crap show. I wonder if Red is ever gonna be anything but Meth's lackey. These are the critical things that clutter my mind.

Tical

|