21.6.05

Longest Day

*Yeah Summer

**I like to sweat everyday
I like to sweat and run and play
and swim and laugh and picnic nightly
summer's here and I'm feeling sprightly

***I say god-damn that is one lame-o rhyme

So I was thinking about my big leap back into the blogosphere. I'm pretty psyched about that. I knew it would still be here when I got back. Gives me a real sense of belonging and stability. And then that made me think about how I really don't like the word blogosphere. I prefer the more succinct blogsphere. I don't know where that 'o' came from, but seems to me that I didn't hear it pronounced like that or spelled that way until the mainstream media started talking about blogs. And then of course since it was on fox news and cnn and all those other farcical networks spelled that way then everybody started using the 'o' and it was cannonized and the rest is history. Although I could be wrong in that I'm not paying very much attention to the blogsphere as a whole. I pretty much stick to my neighborhoods where I know folks and folks know me, kinda like in the un-virtual world or as some would call it "real" life.

But then that reminded me of a word I made up about a week and a half ago. It is a hybrid word like blogshere which isn't simply a hybrid but actually a compound word containing one part that is a hybrid, right?
The word is technoloptimistic ~ which is the belief that technology has the power to solve all problems that threaten our planet and our society.
But at first I wasn't sure if I shouldn't shorten that further to ~ technoptimistic
and then in a fury of shortening madness I though that maybe I should contract that once again to tech-optimistic which could be fun cause it employs that perennial favorite, the hyphen
but looking at all three of the choices I kind of like the first and longest of the incarnations, technoloptimistic.
For one thing, I, unlike most Americans, am not into the brevity thing. I think some things need to stay unabridged, like for instance I insist that people call me Matthew and when they take it upon themselves to shorten my name I know that they are lazy bastards and I cross them off the list of people I respect. I know I am contradicting myself about what I said about blogshpere but hey, contradictions abound.
Something about the second modification, technoptemistic, reminded me of the marriage between a Cyclops and a coptic Christian and that just wasn't working for me.
And tech-optimistic reminded me of some dot-bomb buzz word and that made me want to puke in my old cubicle.

But then all that reminded me of how I am trying to be more of an optimistic person in general. I have spent my life as what I like to call a "hard-line realist." Even though it doesn't sound like it, that is a policy of flexibility. I realize that some situations call for an optimistic viewpoint whereas other situations dictate a pessimistic slant. Some things, where the outcome is obviously up in the air and the odds are not stacked too far in one direction or the other, I can see fit to have a positive attitude. On the other hand, when all hope is lost I have never felt like I should expend the extra effort to keep hoping and negativity ensues. I don't think that's necessarily the right way to go. For one thing, you never really know. So I am conceding that maybe it is better and healthier and more advantageous to be optimistic. This is hard for me but I think it will be the best policy in the end.

the power of positive thinking
that's what I'm marinating on this summer

|