7.2.06

My Adidas

I finally bought some new running shoes.

I have needed a new pair for quite some time.

On Sunday, I went to Academy and I picked out a nice new pair of Adidas trail running shoes. I often run on trails. And as name brands go I like Adidas, mostly because they make the best gear for European style futbol. However, historically Adidas sneakers do not really fit my feet. My feet are much the same proportions as Fred Flintstone's, that is to say that they are rather wide, almost square. Adidas shoes, while wider than nike and puma, are still rather narrow. I found great success with my last pair of New Balance sneakers. They helped me rehab my knee after my acl reconstruction surgery. In fact, I once remember saying that from now on I will only buy New Balance. But for some dumb reason, and this very much relates to what I was talking about in the last post, I decided that I liked the Adidas sneaks better and although they seemed a little snug around the edges I figured I could break them in. I even had a pair of New Balance out and on that I liked and would have done just as well as the Adidas that I picked out, but no, I had to go all counterintuitive and buy the Adidas.

I was happy at first. I wore them to the gym just to lift weights on Sunday and they felt just fine. But when I went back to the gym to run yesterday evening I was sorely disappointed. About a half mile into my run my feet were starting to hurt. About a mile into the run the pain was almost unbearable. I thought it would pass so I just kept running. At about a mile and a half I thought I was going to break down in tears. The pain had become excruciating. I would have hated to start sobbing in front of all those nice folks at the gym. So I had to stop my run only a part of the way through my usual distance. I was crestfallen. I was heartbroken. I was mad. Why oh why oh why, did I go against my gut instinct and stray from the wonders of the New Balance? Why did I try a brand of shoe that long ago I had forsaken because they obviously don't make shoes that fit a caveman's feet? Why did God make my feet so great in girth?

I decided not to let it get me down. This is the kind of thing that in the past I would have let gnaw at my nubbins for days on end. But the new me decided to let it go. I decided to turn to my new tool, optimism. I could still wear these shoes to just for general walkabouts. I might need some shoes that looked good with shorts once the summer comes. Hey, they were on sale so I'm not out that much money. And I know exactly which pair of New Balance I am going to buy when I go back to the store. But I also could have just gone with what I know and gotten the brand that I am sure fits my feet. That's what I will do in the future. And luckily I have this writing to remind me.

On an unrelated note, if you like glitz and boobs you should watch the show Las Vegas in NBC. its a great place to turn off your brain for and hour. Although I noticed thy are moving it to Friday night which is really a death sentence for a show that had previously been on Monday night.

death? where is thy sting...

|