20.3.04

Vernal

Aaaight, ya'll, spring is here and I for one am in the mood for a little spring cleaning. Let's put it like this. In the spring of 1996 I went to Mexico with a group of friends. We took a bus to Mexico City. We stayed with a friend, Carlos, at his family's home in Puebla. Halfway through the week we went back to Mexico City and boarded a plane for everybody's favorite Spring Break destination, the fabulous city of Cancun. I had my seminal spring break moment in Cancun. You know that moment when you're at Senor Frogs and the girls are walking around spraying shots in peoples mouths, and things are getting really crazy, and maybe there is a wet T-shirt contest afoot, and people are falling off of balconies, and pants are coming down and tops are coming off and thongs are being shown. Archetypes. The classic spring break moment. It was pretty sweet. Well something snapped in my subconscious right at that moment. Something deep inside of me. One of the voices decided to break from the chorus and that voice said,
in tone that filled the heavens...

YOU SHALL HENCEFORTH, LIVE TO PARTY (echo)

Now at first I only half heartedly obliged. I still had to finish college, and by some accounts I was a bit of an upstanding citizen. But since that day I have, I swear on my Mother's grave, imbibed at least one beer every single friggin day. I have skipped nary a day in the last 8 years. Now that's at least one and up to, oh I don't know maybe 23 beers per day. Dig it?And that's alongside all the gunja, and pills and eventually powders that I would so faithfully place into my body for the purpose of LIVING TO PARTY. For a while I couldn't admit this to myself, that I was living to party. But after a couple life threatening moments and some serious crash and burn episodes I have begun to see the err of my ways and I think I am finally ready to do something about it. I have been a very functional party person down through the years so I don't think I need AA, or NA or any other kind of support group situation. I have a pretty great group of friends for support. Now it is just down to a 'do it or suffer the consequences' sort of thing. That shit is all up to me.
8 years, if you count the pre-game warm-up of the 2 years before the Mexico trip we could call it 10 years, that's a full decade of my existence that have been mostly devoted to the party. Its been fun, I mean I really have had a blast, but geez, I've got some other things to do. See ya soon suckas, I'm cleaning my shit up and I'm coming to a town near you.'
Love
The Deputy

|